India is a big hearted country with glorious history. India has contributed much in the field of education, entertainment, medicine, culture etc. to the world. Some of the interesting facts associated with India are listed in this article.
* United States are 3 times bigger than India.
* India stands next only to China in being the most populous country.
* India has always been a peace loving country. From the past 100000 years it has never invaded any country.
* The name 'India' is derived from the River Indus, around which early population used to live.
* India is the largest democracy in the world and also the 6th largest Country in the world.
* The largest number of Post Offices in the world is found in India.
* Indian Railway is the largest employer in the world. It employs over a million people.
* Indians believe left hand unclean so never uses for eating.
* India exports software to 90 countries.
* Indian currency can not be taken out of India legally.
* India has high crime rate the world with the most murders (32,719) per year. the high number is due to bier size and population.
* India emerged as strongest economy in the world even in times of recession.
* World's 3rd largest military force is in India.
Contributions to entertainment
* India is the birth place of popular mind game- Chess.
* The game of Snakes & Ladders was invented by Gyandev in 13th century and called it 'Mokshapat'. The ladders were the representation of merits of the life and the snakes indicated vices. Originally cowrie shells and dices were used to play the game.
* Indian film industry, popularly called Bollywood is the largest producer of feature films annually. Every year almost 800 films are produced here.
* Dancing was a part of worship in temples.
* The world's highest cricket ground is found in India. The cricket pitch in Chail, of Indian state Himachal Pradesh was built in 1893.
* India is the birth place of Martial Arts which were later spread to Asia by Buddhist missionaries. Yoga originated in India 5,000 years back.
Contributions to education
* Indians contributed Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus to the world.
* 'Decimal System' originated in India in 100 B.C.
* Taxila was the first University established in 700 BC.
* Indian Mathematician Budhayana calculated the value of "pi" for the first time, and also explained Pythagorean Theorem in the 6th century.
* Aryabhatt invented digit zero.
Contribution to Medicine
* An Indian, Charaka is called the Father of Medicine. He consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years back.
* Sushruta is the Father of Surgery.
* Ancient Indian texts supports the fact the use of anaesthesia was well known in ancient Indian medicine also.
Contribution to language
* India has contributed to language also. Sanskrit is the base language for all, even computer language. English word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word 'NAVGATIH' and navy is also derived from the Sanskrit word 'NOU'.
India as religious country
* Two of the four religions, Jainism and Buddhism were founded in India in 600 B.C. and 500 B.C. respectively.
* Islam is India's and the world's second largest religion. India has 300,000 mosques which is the highest in any other country.